Friday, August 27, 2010

SYOG Closing Ceremony Fireworks Display

[adapted from my personal blog]

My borfriend msg-ed me this late afternoon to remind me that it's SYOG Closing ceremony today and I have been whining about taking fireworks for my assignments lately. So it was either we take them today or head down to USS tomorrow. Since I can only make it today and it's FREE, we just decided on today. =)









For more, please view my Facebook album: here


I must say that it's an interesting experience to be among like-minded photography fanatics. It's like we have a common language and we know what each other mean! And there's always this exchange of knowledge going on.

I met a few men who apparently have started this online forum community called MyPhotoKaki, because..well I kinda ignorantly 'squeezed' among them to have a chance at taking good shots of the pyrotechnics display! And they also started teaching me about how to take better night and fireworks photographs..so I really did learn quite a few tips!

Did you know that people actually use black cards to control the amount of exposure going into the camera between fireworks blasts?

To view the entire post, please click here!

Any comments? It's my first time out trying to take shots of fireworks actually using a tripod and a DSLR.
I think I should invest in a remote control too.

1 comment:

  1. Great shots Carol!

    Aye, Grey Cards and Black Cards come in handy for correcting exposure, especially for metering in such shots. Alternatively, they can help with white balancing, but the best thing to do is to manually meter off the mid-tone of your image, or meter the black sky if you wanna overexpose to get those fireworks shining out :)

    Judging from the scene, I'd say you were around Fullterton One too?

    Remote shutters are handy for long exposure photography, but out of personal experience and in an attempt to persuade you to not make the same mistake I once did - try to avoid infrared (IR) remotes, as they require direct line of sight to the transmitter/receiver array to actually work, this can be troublesome especially in nature.

    The wireless remote shutter releases by Phottix are actually quite good, and they come with a manual cable release included in its wireless package. They're also much cheaper than most other brands including Canon, while being as effective!

    ReplyDelete