Saturday, August 21, 2010

About Me

Here's just a post about me. Well, more like just a summary of my journey as a hobbyist.

I can't exactly remember when was the time I took a liking towards the visual arts - drawings, illustration, films, animation, photography etc. When I was young, I wasn't an arts prodigy and was only capable of getting Bs during art class. Perhaps it was the envy of all the good artists who came up with all the wonderful cartoons that I enjoy watching. It could also be because of the day my Secondary school friend bought his first camera (camera phone!) and started showing me all the interesting pictures he took.

So from that day forth, well, more like from the day I got my hands on my own digital camera around that same year, I just kept snapping away. I remember that camera was Konica Minolta. I had so much fun with it! Experimenting around allowed me to learn about ISO etc. It was funny how I learnt the 'magic' of ISO. I remember a time when I was so fed up with pictures getting overexposed (I didn't know the term then) then I just started tweaking every single setting. When I came to the ISO setting and set it to a lower value, I literally almost fainted from amazement (no kidding.. I was like screaming "I did it!" to the nonchalance of my parents). My mother had pumped up the ISO speed to the maximum because she thought it would allow us to take high-speed photos. Haha. And I was so happy that the photos turned out CLEARER too.

However, the image quality of the compact cameras didn't appeal to me much a few years later. It was then that I realised that there were DSLRs around and I started researching and playing around with friends' DSLRs. Just imagine my amazement when my dad bought me a Canon 500D! :):):)

And I've been still snapping away ever since. Experimenting with lenses, accessories, composition, shutter speed etc.



Photography is a big part of my life. They aren't simply images or pixels, but they have meaning and memories. More than that, they are expressions of who I am - reflecting my artistic style, emotions etc.

People say that music is a language without boundaries. But I think photography is a universal language too. And besides, a picture alone does say a thousand words.. I wonder how many words a musical piece can translate to? :) (ok no offense, I am a music lover too, especially acoustic and jazz)

No comments:

Post a Comment