Saturday, August 21, 2010

Week 2 - Exposure Triangle

We were introduced to the exposure triangle during this lesson. And I agree wholeheartedly that it is the basic knowledge (not even composition) that EVERY good photographer needs.

I've always had just a rough understanding of the elements: ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Today's lesson really enhanced my understanding of how they relate to one another and also the different stops.

I think the digitalization of cameras has really made the life of a photographer easy peasy. I heard from someone (either my dad or my uncle) that SLR photographers used to have to really train and hone their skills to such a level that they can just take any photo and be confident they will turn out good instead of being over or underexposed. Amazing right?

I've also heard that photographers used to have to calculate the settings. I'm not sure about that.
But now, all we have to do is to just look at the exposure meter on the camera display screen and see if it is indeed over or underexposed. (Well, at least my Canon 500D shows it).

-------------------------------

Ok so during the in-class exercise, we were allowed to experiment with panning. I've tried panning couple of times before: a friend cycling, someone running, cars passing, roller coaster. It sounds easy in theory, but in order for the subject to look crisp, the relative speed of your panning must be the same of the object that is moving. So, it really does need TONS of practice.

So these are what I have captured. As you can see, the quality's not very good. Shaky hands and being out of practice. Haha.





No comments:

Post a Comment